Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The Cradit-Moore House located at 172 Pleasant Grove Road, now a private residence, gives us a glimpse of Ithaca's early agricultural heritage. The oldest section of the home, its northern wing, dates to 1817, when it was constructed by prominent landowner and Fall Creek mill owner Isaac Cradit. Its distinctive Greek Revival characteristics include pilasters, a cornice line with full entablature, a pediment-shaped door surround, and elaborate window molding. Around 1860-61, the southern wing was added after it was sold to Peter Kline, who owned much farmland in the area. In 1938, Dr. Norman Moore and Bernice Moore purchased the home and oversaw many changes. Dr. Moore was the first Director of Cornell University's health care system. In 1948, the Moores sold the house to Cornell but retained lifetime residency. In 2000, Cornell's expansion blueprint for the North Campus included plans to demolish the building, and Historic Ithaca stepped in to save the almost 200-year-old structure. The house was moved about three-tenths of a mile north of its original location at 128 Pleasant Grove Road to its current lot.
To learn more about extant 19th-century farmhouses in the village, visit The Cayuga Heights History Project.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Cayuga Heights