Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The DeWitt Building (1912) is another work by architect William H. Miller. It served originally as a senior high school and then a junior high school. The building style is referred to as Tudor Revival or Collegiate Gothic, emulating the medieval buildings of the great British universities. The roof parapet and crenellated parapet over the north entrance recall castle battlements, and rough-faced stone at the first story contributes to the feeling of a Gothic castle. The entrance facing Cayuga Street is shaped in a Tudor arch. Gargoyles grace the windows, and signs for boys' and girls' entrances are in molded terra-cotta.
In his 1806 map, Simeon DeWitt designated this site for a school, and until 1971 it served as one. The building has since been adapted for commercial and residential purposes, though much of the character of the school building has been retained. The lower level is a mall, with restaurants, boutiques, and offices.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District