Created By: Indiana War Memorials
The centerpiece of University Park is Depew Fountain, a memorial to Indianapolis physician Dr. Richard Johnson Depew from his wife. The granite foundation is surrounded by a circular plaza with stone benches. The initial design by Karl Bitter was completed by Alexander Stirling Calder after Bitter's unexpected death in 1917. Bronze sculptures on the fountain include jumping fish and eight life-sized figures of dancing children holding hands. The pinnacle features a cheerful dancing woman in classical toga with a cymbal in each hand. Two small bronze sculptures flank the fountain: a Wood Nymph and Pan. Myra Reynolds Richards designed the originals in 1923. Both sculptures are now replicas due to theft of the originals over the years.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Indiana War Memorials