Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Homesickness for Ithaca brings talented violin player back from Europe...
...and Ithaca Conservatory of Music was born in 1892. This was a way for William Egbert to make a living while remaining in the Ithaca area. The first classes were held in rented rooms and eventually classes expand throughout other facilities in the downtown area.
Ithaca College has deep downtown roots
Between the 1910's and 1960's, DeWitt Park was a hub of the Ithaca College Campus. What had originally been founded as The Ithaca Conservatory of Music eventually affiliated with some other schools and changed its name to Ithaca College in 1931. It used buildings throughout the downtown area until it's present campus on South Hill was built in the 1960's.
Photo from Ithaca and its Past: the History and Architecture of Downtown by Daniel R. Snodderly,1982, Ithaca, NY : DeWitt Historical Society of Tompkins County (The History Center)
This point of interest is part of the tour: Nature and Culture of Downtown Ithaca - Visual Aids