Created By: Katie Mannix
The Double Bank Building was designed by Russell Warren and constructed in 1831 on Water Street. The two banks housed on the site were actually built by two distinct builders, leading to slight variations in the way that the columns at the front of the building were shaped. The Merchants Bank was the building located to the south, while Mechanics Bank operated in the space in the northern part of the building.
Information courtesy New Bedford Guide - http://www.newbedfordguide.com/new-bedford-is-not-just-anywhere-architecture/2011/03/16; A Picture History of New Bedford, Volume 1
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Historical Walking Tour