Created By: Wings of Eagles Discovery Center
Type: US Air Force Light Bomber
Crew: three (3)
Wingspan: 70' Length: 50'10"
Gross Weight: 31,775 pounds
Power Plant: Two 2,000 hp Pritt & Whitney R-2800-79 radial engines
Maximum Speed: 370 mph at 10,000'
Service Ceiling: 19,200'
Armament: Ten .50 cal. machine guns, six in nose and two each in dorsal and ventral turrets; maximum 6,000 lb bomb load; provisions for wing-mounted bombs or rockets.
The Douglas A-26 Invader was delivered in late 1944 as a replacement for the Army Air Force's A-20, B-25 and B-26 Marauder bombers. Invaders saw combat in Europe and in the Pacific, where they excelled in the attack and light bombing roles for which they were designed.
In 1948 the A-26 was redesigned to the B-26. The plane distinguished itself in the night interdiction role in Korea, and flew the first and last bombing missions of the war. In 1961, Invaders were again pulled from storage and modified for service in Vietnam. Amazingly, they did not fly their last combat mission until November 1969.
The B-26B on display was built during World War II, and following its military service was used as an executive transport for Standard Oil Corporation. It is marked as an Invader with the 149th Bombardment Squadron (Light), Virginia National Guard, and was donated to the Wings of Eagles Discovery Center in 1990 by Calspan Corporation of Buffalo, New York.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Wings of Eagles Discovery Center: Outdoor Aircraft Walking Tour