Created By: North Dakota State University
The Douglas House is the oldest house of its type still standing in Moorhead. It was built in 1872 for James and Wilhemina Douglas and they lived there together until 1887. The Douglas House was designed by W.H. Merritt, who was responsible for much of Moorhead's early architecture. James Douglas was very active in the early days of Moorhead, serving as its first postmaster and first probate judge. He also helped to found the second school in Moorhead and ran a steam ship line on the Red River. It was refurbished in the ealry 2000's and today the home is used by the community as Joni's Salon and Spa.
The Douglas House and the adjacent Kassenborg Block are both eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information on W.H. Merritt visit site 18, and for more buildings by W.H. Merritt, visit sites 14 and 17.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Moorhead Historic Preservation Walking Tour