Created By: Kristin Bowl
The date when this colonial inn at Turner’s Gap at the top of South Mountain was built has not been determined, although it did exist during the Revolutionary War. Since it is located at the intersection of the Appalachian Trail and the Old Monocacy Road, it probably began as an Indian trading post. It became a popular wagon stop on the Old National Pike.
In 1862 it was the center of the Confederate line holding the gap during the Battle of South Mountain. The property was sold to Madeleine Dahlgren in 1876 as a private residence. The house became a tavern again in 1925, and now operates as a fine dining establishment.
Across the street is stop #36, Dahlgren Chapel.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Boonsboro, Maryland Walking Tour