Created By: Wichita History Walk
According to the Wichita Beacon, it once took half a day to travel to the College Hill area. In 1928, a long-time resident of the area claimed that the first building near College and Hillside was constructed in 1887. The area really began to boom in the 1920s, with the construction of the Hillcrest Homes and other businesses like the Uptown Theater, many people were drawn to this side of town. What made it all possible? Reliable transportation, such as that provided by streetcars. While some owned horses, buggies, and later motor cars of their own, many others needed a way to get around town.
Swipe to see examples of streetcars through the years, many of which passed right along Douglas where you now stand. Horse-drawn cars on dirt streets were mainly from the Wichita & Suburban Railway Company era. Electric tram-style cars came into vogue as electricity went mainstream; notice the aerial connections to electric lines atop some cars. The photo of a couple is dated 1892, and depicts Charles Limbarger and his new wife on their honeymoon trip. The car they're standing on was from the Wichita Electric Street Railway Company, another streetcar company that came to prominence in the early decades of the 20th century.
This point of interest is part of the tour: East Douglas Heritage