Created By: Wharton Studio Museum
The Eddy Street Gate is featured in this scene from If Women Only Knew, produced by Cayuga Pictures in 1920, purportedly the last film to be produced in Ithaca. Cayuga Pictures, chartered by the State of New York, leased the Wharton Studio building after the Whartons left Ithaca in 1919 and after Grossman Pictures spent a year making films there.
Built as the Andrew D. White Gate -- but known as the Eddy Street Gate -- this is one of Cornell University's most famous landmarks. Originally erected in 1896, the gate was built to serve as the main entrance to Cornell. Designed by William Henry Miller and constructed of alternating layers of sandstone and limestone, the gate was immediately dubbed "Andy White's layer cake."
This point of interest is part of the tour: Wharton Studio Silent Film Tour