Created By: PocketSights Ruthmere Tours
Electric locomotive 4882 is a former Pennsylvania Railroad engine. It operated in Pennsylvania’s electrified territory in the East. The 4882 is one of one hundred and thirty nine Pennsylvania Railroad locomotives, with a model designation of GG1. They were built between 1934 and 1943 at Penn C’s Altoona Pennsylvania shop. They were highly successful passenger locomotives geared to run at one hundred miles per hour. 4882 was built in February, 1939. When King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, parents of Britain’s present Queen Elizabeth, visited Canada and the United States that year, the 4882 pulled a special train, pulling them from Washington D.C. to New York City. The king rode in the cab of the GG1 as it pulled his train from Washington. Industrial designer Raymond Loewy, who designed many Studebakers and a number of other well-known products, created the GG1’s distinctive appearance. The GG1's were famously durable locomotives, most surviving an active service forty years after construction, and the 4882 carried on in commuter and express passenger service—always on former Pennsylvania Railroad lines as the northeast railroad scene changed. It became a Penn Central locomotive following the merger of the Penn C. and the New York Central, and then a Conrail engine when that railroad took over the Penn Central. No longer used by the Conrail, it was sold to New Jersey Transit in 1979. The 4882 continued in commuter service for NJ Transit until the 29th of October, 1983 when she became the last GG1 to run on her own power. With the locomotive sporting a new paint job to spruce it up for its final day of operation, a magazine writer was prompted to write, “All day Saturday, the passage of the 4882 could be noted by the odor of fresh paint.” The 4882 was acquired by the NNYCRM in 1989.
This point of interest is part of the tour: National New York Central Railroad Museum (Purple Tour)