Created By: Sarah Mims
The village of Embreeville was named for the Embree family that lived in Newlin Township at that location for several previous generations. To support the small mill village a covered bridge was built over the western branch of the Brandywine in 1853. The two span Burr ach structure was 163 feet long with a stone pier at mid-span. The roadway was 16 feet wide. After the construction of the Wilmington and Northern Railroad in the 1870's the village flourished. A grist mill, general store, coal and lumber yard, and blacksmith shop were located at Embreeville. The proximitly to the Chester County Poor House and mental hospital brought many visitors to the area. In 1923 the weakened covered bridge was replaced by a 404 foot long twin span concrete arch bridge built by the Dunleavy Brothers of Coatesville. Carefully re-enter Route 162 and travel west across the bridge.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed