Created By: Heritage Hill Association
611 N 7th is the second home on site. A Colonial-Georgian Revival was one of the first homes on N. 7th Street. The first owners of the property were Edward and Catherine Murphy building in 1865, he owned a paint and wallpaper store on N 5th and later on the 300 block of Jefferson. E.P. Eastman bought the property from Mrs. Murphy in 1904, built a new home for his sister, Mabel Eastman MacMillan as a wedding gift . She and husband Ernest moving from Salem, Ohio moved into their new home, he ran a major hardware store downtown and paid Mr. Eastman off in 1909. The first 3 owners of the property were executives with Chittenden and Eastman. The home was built with redwood ordered from Michigan and remains on the house today. Mrs. Mabel Eastman MacMillan was a entrepreneur , supporting the community in Burlington along with helping to build the YWCA and Mercy Hospital. She left her estate to the YWCA, Mercy Hospital and many local charities. The house has been totally renovated with no structural rebound and remains one of the better built homes on Heritage Hill.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Heritage Hill Historic District Walking Tour