Created By: North Dakota State University
Fargo City Hall was originally built as an add-on to the Fargo Fire Department building in 1885. This building was located at Northern Pacific Ave. and North Roberts Street. City Hall stayed here until 1910 when it moved into its own building connected to the same Fire Department building. Then in 1961, City Hall was built in its current location on 2nd Ave and 4th St North Fargo. All of Fargo City Halls have been built connected to another unlike most traditional city halls. Also its current location is prone to flood problems as the city has had to spend millions on flood protection over the course of its history.
Now City of Fargo is building a new city hall across the street from its current location. At the same time, Fargo is building a multi-million-dollar flood protection plan to protect the downtown area to alleviate the flooding. The location of the new city hall is being built on old red light district of Fargo where all the prostitute houses would have been back in early 1900’s. Most notably, the front entrance is located on top of Fargo most famous madam was located. Her name was Malvina Massey.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo