Created By: North Dakota State University
The Fargo Forum was first started in 1891 by Alanson W. Edwards and Colonel H.C. Plumley. The first publication dates Nov. 17, 1891. After Edwards died Plumley took over but struggled on the business side of running the paper leading to financial problems causing the paper to later be sold to J.P Dotson of Crookston in 1912. The paper was then sold again to Norman B. Black, former manager of the Grand Forks Herald, in 1916.(1)
After the Fargo Fire the forum moved to the Odd Fellows building, which was constructed after the fire at 521 1st ave N. The Forum publications were located on the first floor of the building as the west end was home to shops such as John T. McCormick’s harness shop and the Fargo Harness Company. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, who constructed the building, held their meetings on the second floor. The building was taken over in the mid-teens by Horace Donaldson and converted into the Hotel Donaldson. (2)
Map Courtesy of: "Fargo, Cass County, ND 1892". Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for North Dakota, Institute for Regional Studies, North Dakota State University, Fargo.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Fargo In Flames