Created By: Leadership - Pendleton ("Pendleton on the Map")
SITE #1: Farmer's Society Hall
This Greek Revival centerpiece of Pendleton was built circa 1826, with its columns being added in 1848. It is built on the Village Green, the site of the old courthouse, and is the oldest Farmer's Society still in continuous use in the United States.
The ground floor has always housed a commercial establishment, and for some time was the location of the U.S. Post Office. On the second floor exists the meeting hall, where Thomas Green Clemson strongly campaigned for a state agricultural college -- what is now known today as Clemson University. John C. Calhoun, former Vice President of the United States, and Thomas Green Clemson's father-in-law were among the members of the Farmer's Society.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Pendleton - Historic Walking Tour - Copy