Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The current church is the third on the site. The first was built in 1831. The present church dates to 1890, when the congregation outgrew its mid-century Gothic Revival building. Matching a $12,000 pledge from John D. Rockefeller, the church commissioned Ithaca's foremost architect, William Henry Miller. He adopted a Romanesque Revival style, based loosely on medieval prototypes and typified by bold, rough-faced stone masonry, round-arched window and door openings, and an overall quality of massiveness. The large window in the west wall was donated by Miller, the building's craftsmen, and members of the congregation in memory of the Reverend Robert T. Jones, whose inspiration and fundraising made this church possible.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District