Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.
516 W. Main Street. Founded in 1836 by the Disciples of Christ, a brick church was built on this site in 1864. That church was destroyed by fire Christmas Eve 1899. The congregation rebuilt a new church in 1901, but that one suffered a major fire on Christmas Eve 1998. Once again it was rebuilt, incorporating the original brick walls but rotating the sanctuary 90 degrees. New, stained glass windows reflecting local scenes were commissioned for the "new" church. It is still an active church.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Churches Walking Tour