Created By: PH Project
Organized in 1717, the First Dutch Reformed Church was instrumental to the formation of Rutgers University. Religious leaders of the church wanted to educate Dutch Reformed ministerial candidates and thus founded Queen’s College. King George II signed a charter on November 10th, 1766.
The First Dutch Reformed Church is instrumental to the history of New Brunswick because it is a primary reason why New Brunswick is such a large and important city today. Rutgers University is an integral part of the city that employs and educates tens of thousands of people and contributes significantly to the economy of the city.
The First Reformed Church still holds services to this day. It is located on Neilson St. with a back entrance on Bayard St.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Brunswick: A Walk through the Past