Created By: Heritage Hill Association
The congregation started in 1841, as a gathering of German worshipers meeting in homes and local buildings. Our first building was built on this site and dedicated in 1851. That church faced east and was the worship center prior to the completed construction of snake alley. The building was completed in 1920 as congregation continued to grow and prosper. By 1926 that first church building was razed and a new cornerstone for the present building was laid, with the front door facing north. Our old sanctuary has been preserved since that time, and we value the tradition of our pipe organ, lovely stained-glass window. The West Wing of this church was added in 1965.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Heritage Hill Historic District Walking Tour