Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Welcome to Trumansburg! Our first stop is the First Presbyterian Church of Ulysses, located at 69 East Main Street. Trumansburg is home to one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in Tompkins County, with regular services beginning as early as 1800. The congregation’s first meeting place was in a modest log structure built in 1811, approximately three miles south of the village. The congregation purchased land from Abner Treman (1761-1823) to replace the log chapel with a larger frame building on the current site in 1819. The present brick edifice was erected between 1848 and 1850 and was likely designed by local architect Daniel Elmore (1805-1888). This Greek Revival-style building features a temple-front entrance with an impressive pediment. Its expansive porch is enclosed by fluted Doric columns. A clock tower and steeple sit atop the low-pitched roof. The building has undergone several restoration campaigns, including renovations during the 1940s and in 1973. The clock tower, steeple, and exterior woodwork were repaired during the 1990s. Immediately adjacent to the church is a small rectory, also fashioned in the Greek Revival style. The church is listed on the New York State and the National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Trumansburg