Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Located at 300 West Avenue
Flora Rose (1874-1959) graduated with a Bachelor of Science from Kansas State University in 1904 and received her Master's Degree in Food and Nutrition from Columbia University by 1907. She came to Cornell shortly thereafter as a visiting lecturer, advocating for the establishment of a Home Economics program. Following her visit, she was offered a full-time position in the department of agriculture with the expectation that she would begin the process of establishing the department of Home Economics, now the College of Human Ecology, along with her colleague, Martha Van Rensselaer.
Her research advanced the knowledge of nutrition and fortified foods. She also served as the deputy director of the New York State division of U.S. Food Administration during the first world war.
This West Campus residence hall was named after Rose in 2008. The Collegiate Gothic-style house includes a crest with Rose’s name.
Source: History Center in Tompkins County & Flora Rose House
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ithaca Women of Note