Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center
In 1886, a two story frame building of two rooms was built at this location to house the Waynesville School. in 1936-37, a brick building was erected by the federal Public Works Administration to replace the frame building. When Fort Leonard Wood was built in 1940-41 more classrooms were needed. Enrollments continued to expand and more schools were constructed, but in 1955, the high school graduating class was still only 34 students. A separate high school wasn't built until 1959. The 1936-37 building joined to a 1952 school builidng, and housed the Waynesville Junior High for many years. The building served as the location for the YMCA and other county organizations until 2017 and was razed for the Pulaski County Jail.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Waynesville Downtown Walking Tour