Created By: Altered Landscapes / Preserved Landscapes
This 1920 bridge over Fall Creek in Varna, believed to have been built by the Groton Bridge Company, replaces an earlier Groton Bridge from 1878. Its 161-foot length, requiring an additional supporting pier in its center, is Tompkins County’s longest metal truss bridge. Apparently, this pin-connected truss design is quite rare, with this being one of the few examples of this construction in New York State.
http://livingindryden.org/2004/05/freese_road_bridge.html ( David Weinstein)
This point of interest is part of the tour: 20 Historical Bridges in Tompkins County, NY