Created By: Sarah Mims
Pennock Marshall built a "store stand" on the quarter acre lot at the intersection of Locust Grove and Corinne which he then sold in 1841. In 1853, the Locust Grove store was advertising "store goods at public sale" featuring dry goods, groceries, queensware, and hardware. Household and furniture were available there as well as "2 fat shoals, a load of hay, corn fodder, post and rails, farming utensils and a York wagon in good repair". In 1860, the store was sold at Sheriff's sale to Robert W Caldwell. The Caldwell's ran the store from 1860 to 1930. Robert and his wife raised 8 children. They quickly became one of the eminent families in the Village.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Village of Locust Grove