Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
In thē early 1850s, Lazarus Wright built the first grist mill in this part of the State. The mill stones were sailed around the horn to Scottsburg and freighted to Myrtle Creek. The mill had a capacity of 45 barrels a day. For years, this landmark site supplied settlers from all over the County with their grain products. An adjacent building served as a planing mill and later as an electric power plant. Both were powered by a mill race that ran from a dam up North Myrtle Creek and under Main Street. Wright also operated a hotel and was the first Postmaster when the Myrtle Creek Post Office was officially designated in 1854. In August, 1930, the old mill was torn down to make room for the Pacific Highway bridge over Myrtle Creek. A mill stone has survived and is now on display at Millsite Park.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek