Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The grave plots of military veterans surround the U.S. Navy cannon at the Groton Rural Cemetery. Since 1900, the cannon has been on loan from the Grand Army of the Republic. The cannon was used on the U.S.S. James S. Chambers during the Civil War, according to Groton Historian Rosemarie Tucker.
Look for the plaque from the 2006 rededication of the monument. The memorial serves "to commemorate the memory of all men and women who served our country in times of war, and especially to those who were wounded or died as a result of that service. May this cannon remain here in perpetuity."
This point of interest is part of the tour: Tompkins County Veterans Tour