Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This private residence is quite possibly the grandest building on our tour: the Hermon Camp House, located at 2 Camp Street. The Camp House, designed by Geneva architect Thomas Judd, was built between 1845 and 1848 for Hermon Camp. Camp was born to a leading merchant family in Owego, New York in 1787. He first arrived in Trumansburg in 1805, sent by his brother to manage the family’s newly acquired store. During the War of 1812, Camp held the rank of colonel of cavalry for the Niagara Frontier. In addition to his military service and commercial enterprises, Camp held several positions of authority during his 70 years in Trumansburg, including county sheriff, postmaster, and New York State assemblyman. Camp’s financial success is demonstrated by his monumental residence. The Camp House is one of the finest examples of high-style Greek Revival architecture in Central New York. Its most impressive attribute is its full-façade porch, a feature more commonly found among the palatial manors of the southern United States. Six Doric columns support its imposing entablature and parapet. The Camp House is listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Trumansburg