Created By: Douglas T Stiff
This sheltered picnic area is a now-defunct OERC trolley station that delivered visitors to the park from downtown Ottawa, operating from the park’s grand opening in 1900 until 1959 (operation transferred to City of Ottawa in 1948), when it was replaced by busses. The footbridge which provided safe passage over the CPR line to the park’s beachfront and other activities was constructed in 1904 at the cost of $1500. Amid the park’s deterioration in the 1940s-1950s, the footbridge was demolished in 1954. As noted, a large part of the historic trolley route exists today as the Byron Linear Tramway Park.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History