Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This house at 109 Cleveland Avenue (formerly 1 Wheat Street) was the home of Zachariah Tyler. Tyler's son, John, became known as the "ice cream man." In Dec. 1863 John enlisted in the USCT 26th and in January Zachariah, age 56, joined him. They served together throughout the war, along with others from the neighborhood, and returned to Ithaca from Brownsville Texas in August 1865. After the war he worked as a whitewasher and was pastor at the Wesleyan Methodist (Colored) Church, which was later renamed Calvary Baptist Church.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Southside Loop