Created By: Licking County Library
The corner of East Main and 2nd Streer, where Wendy’s stands today, has been host to many hotels, going back as far as 1802 when a log cabin on the property acted as an inn. The Buckingham House was built here in the 1850s and operated as such until it was added onto to become the Hotel Warden in the 1870s. When the renovations finished the Hotel Warden sported marble floors, eight apartments, a barber shop, wine room, hydraulic elevator, and an electric call board by which guests could reach clerks in the office. The Hotel Warden was a very prosperous and well-known establishment until its closing on March 28, 1959.
Image 1: Postcard of the Hotel Warden from 1915.
Image 2: The Warden in 1911.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour