Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
Houghton's Meat Market (Center of the Empty Space)
This space has been empty for several years now but it helped feed generations of area residents. A meat market was located on this site (just west of the MDU building) for at least 100 years. Louis Hafner, one of several owners, operated the business until 1936 and then sold it to Art and Theresa Houghton. Douglas Houghton purchased it from his parents in 1960. Houghton’s Meat Market specialized in selling fresh meats and homemade sausage. It also did custom butchering.
Ellendale has had numerous butchers and meat vendors throughout its history. Since it began publishing in 1882, virtually every issue of the Dickey County Leader contained an advertisement for fresh meat. In the early decades, most of it was butchered locally.
Kenneth and Betty Kosel leased the business and purchased it in 1992, and ran it until 1996, when they stopped selling meats and opened their “Countryside Collectibles” store in the same building. They still own the building, which is one of the oldest on west Main Street.
The MDU Building was located on 66 Main.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)