Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
Built around 1920, the William Hurst storefront at 216 N. Main St was originally divided into 2 bays (stores). Hurst built the storefront to house the Myrtle Creek Telephone Exchange office (which was originally located in the Moore building across street). The Telephone Exchange provided service as far as Riddle and Canyonville and was labeled as the “largest independent system in the State” by one biographer. In recent years windows & doors have been altered along with other modifications that completely change the appearance of the original building.
Hurst also owned a hardware store. He served as Justice of the Peace in Myrtle Creek and also served as City Recorder. Before moving to Myrtle Creek he was employed as a teacher, a mechanical engineer and operated a boat on the Columbia River for several years.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek