Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Located at 12 East Main Street is the Jeremiah W. Dwight House. The Dwight House, once known as Towering Elms for its now lost elm trees, was built in 1865 on a portion of the former Goddard farm. Jeremiah W. Dwight (1819-1885), the original owner, was a local merchant and politician. Dwight served as a Congressman representing Tompkins, Broome, Schuyler, and Tioga Counties from 1877 to 1883. His son John W. Dwight (1859-1928) also served in the House of Representatives from 1902 to 1913. This impressive Italianate-style home features a variety of window forms, a low hipped and gambrel roof, and a decorative front porch with a tall paneled main entry door. Several out buildings survive at the rear of the property including a carriage house, a granary, a wood shed, an icehouse, and an outhouse. The Dwight House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a contributing structure of the Village of Dryden National Historic District.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Dryden