John Nickerson House c 1891

Sterling Grove Historic District Tour

John Nickerson House c 1891

Lafayette, Louisiana 70501, United States

Created By: Duchess Downtown Tours


JOHN NICKERSON HOUSE 310 North Sterling Street Local Historic Property #93 This beautiful Victorian style home was built circa 1891 on property that was originally part of the Charles Mouton Plantation. It was built by John Nickerson, an architect from Simcoe, Ontario, Canada, on a two-acre tract located at the edge of town. John Nickerson designed the structure and contracted two Canadian carpenters to build it. Simcoe Street was named by John Nickerson. John, his wife Elizabeth Ransome Nickerson, and their children were the home’s first occupants. In 1900, John Nickerson’s son, John Cameron Nickerson, married Isabelle Judice, whose family founded the Town of Scott. They became the second generation to occupy the house. John and Isabelle’s daughter, Bella Nickerson, married World War II Veteran, Richard Chappuis, and their family became the third and fourth generations to live in the house. The Nickerson, Judice and Chappuis families have all made many significant contributions to Lafayette’s civic, cultural, educational, and economic development.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Sterling Grove Historic District Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to