Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Now a dentist office, this building at 1001 Hanshaw Road housed the first school in Cayuga Heights. The original house was built in the early- to mid-1800s, on land from the Cradit farm family. Today, evidence of the house's original use can be seen in the two doors that flank the chimney--one entrance for girls; one for boys. The schoolhouse bell remains in the office, a reminder of schooldays past.
For more information about the history of the site, visit The Cayuga Heights History Project website.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Cayuga Heights