Created By: Sarah Mims
Below the confluence of Buck and Doe Run in East Fallowfield Township, the united stream, known as the Buck and Doe Run, flows for about 3 miles before it enters the west branch of the Brandywine Creek. Laurel Bridge was the only bridge over the Buck and Doe Run, so named for the abundance of laurel on a hillside near the bridge. The bridge was constructed in 1876 and had a 106 foot span with a 15 foot roadway. Menander Wood did the carpentry work and Richard Meredith did the masonry work. The location of the bridge was problematic due to flood water backing up from the Brandywine dowstream. In floods the roadway to the east of the bridge became impassable. Just upstream the area was the site of a busy 19th century industrial complex containing two mills, worker's houses, and supporting structures. In 1915 Chester County built a 3 span 109 foot three arch bridge on the eastern approach to the covered bridge as a flood bridge. In the late 1930's after the State Highway Department took over the covered bridge it was replaced by a two span steel girder open structure. Carefully re-enter Brandywine Creek Road and travel north across the bridge.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed