Created By: Licking County Library
This is Licking County’s fourth courthouse. It was designed by architect H. E. Myer of Cleveland and built between 1876-1878 after the third courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1875. A mile-long parade celebrated the laying of its cornerstone on July 4, 1876. The outside walls on the upper level are almost two feet thick, and the inside walls are 15 inches. It originally contained stained glass portraits of U.S. Presidents believed to have been done by Louis Tiffany. The structure was built to be fireproof, but five months after opening in 1879 the upper part caught fire and destroyed the stained glass as well as some court records. Some of the stained glass was replaced by local artist T. D. Jones.
Image 1: Postcard depicting the Courthouse in 1915.
Image 2: The county's third courthouse as it appeared in 1866 Atlas of Licking County.
Image 3: View facing East from the Courthouse steps around 1975.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour