Created By: Camden County Historical Society
Lightship (Barnegat)- Built in 1904 by NY Shipbuilding in Camden, vessel was used to inspect incoming boats in the Delaware during WWII.A Boarding party would determine a ship’s identity, cargo, homeport and last port of call. If cleared, ships were allowed to proceed. It now sits in Wiggins Marina awaiting maintenance and repair.
The Barnegat was built in 1904 by the New York Shipbuilding Company in Camden. The vessel served from 1904 to 1924 as the lightship for Five Fathom Bank, which is located 15 miles (24 km) from the Cape May Lighthouse. The vessel was then used as a relief for the next two years. In 1927 the vessel was assigned to the Barnegat Lighthouse station. In 1942 the vessel was withdrawn from the Barnegat station to serve as an Examination vessel at Edgemoor, Delaware. The Barnegat would inspect all vessels entering the Delaware River until 1945. The vessel returned to the Barnegat station, where it served until it was decommissioned on 3 March 1967. The Barnegat was then donated to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in Saint Michaels, Maryland. The museum was unable to keep up with the maintenance of the vessel and sold the vessel to the Heritage Ship Guild in 1970 to be displayed at Penn's Landing.
The Barnegat is now docked at Pyne Poynt Marina in Camden awaiting maintenance and repair work.[
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower Cooper River