Created By: Sarah Mims
In 1834, the Free Public School Act was passed in Pennsylvania. This called for the formation of county divisions, township school districts and provided for teacher examination and certification. But implementation of this law was up to local voters, so the full effect of this law was not felt for many years. After Pocopson Township was formed and sometime between 1860 amd 1880, three dedicated school buildings were erected - Locust Grove, Baker and Lenape. Each one was a one-room schoolhouse which accomodated between 15 and 30 students, ages ranging between 5 and 16. The Locust Grove School, whose building stone reflects the date 1870, was erected on this corner on land owned by Abram W and Ida Bernard Baily. The school building also served as a township meeting place, a lyceum and Sunday School. Elections were held there for many years. With improved roads, the Locust Grove School closed in 1923 and consolidated with other nearby schools to form the new Unionville School. The Locust Grove Schoolhouse is a typical example of a rural southeastern nineteenth-century Pennsylvania schoolhouse. A date stone above the Locust Grove Schoolhouse portico reads 1870; this date refers to the rebuilding of a preexisting schoolhouse, which expanded the original foundation and extended the front façade, adding two cloakrooms, a belfry, and portico entry to the prior design. In 1938, Delmont and Alta Baily Bittle converted the schoolhouse into a residence. The schoolhouse was vacant for many years until 2004, when purchased by Pocopson Township. Please see www.locustgroveschoolhouse.org.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Village of Locust Grove