Created By: North Dakota State University
The Loretta Building was built in two phases by businessmen and former Mayor Peter Elliott. The first phase of the building (now known as south portion) was completed in 1909. Peter named this building after his youngest daughter, Loretta Elliott. In 1910, the Bergstrom and Crowe Furniture Store became the first tenants in this building (Bergstrom and Crowe remained until 1940). In 1912, The second and final phase was completed. This building has housed many tenants over the years from Scheels Hardware to Cattle Supply to Billiards on Broadway (bar/pool hall).
The original structure was built in classical style and survived until 2008 when the building was bought and completely renovated by the Kilbourne group to the building you see today. The Kilbourne Group left as much original material as they could in the renovation process and the front of the building is covered in modern materials with original stone work still intact underneath. The most popular place in Loretta Building is the Boiler Room Resturant located in the basement.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo