Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Located at 39 West Main Street is the Luther Clarke House. This Federal-style residence was initially constructed sometime between 1820 and 1830, making it one of the oldest surviving homes in the village. The land upon which it is situated was originally part of a military land grant given to Walter Lawrence during the 1780’s, and claimed by John Lawrence in 1785. The property had been subdivided and sold by the 1820’s. The house was purchased by Luther Clarke, Reverend of the Methodist Church, in 1835. Several other notable Dryden residents would later reside here, including Colonel Lewis Barton, the third President of Dryden, George Washborne, the eleventh President of Dryden, and Cyrus French, owner of French Brothers Furniture at the Old Brick Store. Being one of the finest examples of vernacular Federal-style architecture in the village, the Luther Clarke House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Dryden