Created By: Ithaca Heritage
"There's a parking lot on the piece of land...where the supermarket used to stand..." - The Kinks
This parking lot is the site of Ithaca's first frame house which was built around 1800. It was built to be a house for Abram Markle, but was later used as a store and then a tavern.
Photo from Ithaca and its Past: the History and Architecture of Downtown by Daniel R. Snodderly,1982, Ithaca, NY : DeWitt Historical Society of Tompkins County (The History Center)
This point of interest is part of the tour: Nature and Culture of Downtown Ithaca - Visual Aids