Created By: Goulbourn Township Historical Society
Masonry in the Richmond area actually started before Richmond existed with the soldiers of the 89th Foot Regiment who had a Craft Lodge warranted by the Grand Lodge of Ireland the Charter number being 863 and existing from 1798 to 1818.
The Richmond Lodge came into being on April 21, 1821 although Masonry had been practiced in the village right from the time it was founded in 1818. The name “Goodwood Lodge” was conferred in 1863. The early masons met originally in a private home, then in the Masonic Arms Tavern, Rielly’s hotel and in Patrick McElroy’s store until the Lodge purchased the present land in 1912. They laid the cornerstone for the present building in 1918 with the Lodge officially opening there in 1919 – one hundred years after the Duke of Richmond, a prominent Mason, visited their community. “Goodwood” was the name of his estate in England.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Richmond Ontario's 200th Anniversary Walking Tour