Created By: North Dakota State University
The third incarnation of the Clay County courthouse was built on the eastern half of the land the present building sits on in 1882, on eastern half of 11th Street and 8th Avenue North. It cost $50,000 to construct. One of Moorhead’s earliest residents, John Bergquist, owned a brickyard and manufactured bricks for the building, as well as donated the land the courthouse would sit on. The clay for the bricks came from his original homestead just a few blocks away near the river. The land he donated was also part of his original homestead. The building was torn down in the early 50's to make way for the current building.
For more information on Moorhead's courthouses, please visit sites nine, 30, and 35.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Moorhead Historic Preservation Walking Tour