Created By: Sarah Mims
The first bridges at what would become Mortonville were likely built about 1772 when Strasburg Road was surveyed and constructed. A wooden bridge over the Brandywine was built in 1789. About 1800 a single stone arch bridge was constructed that spanned the head race for Hayes Mill. A four-arch stone bridge over the Brandywine replaced the 1789 wooden structure in 1826. Both stone bridges were constructed using stone quarried nearby the bridge site. From the 1980's to 2002, PennDOT put forth a series of plans for the replacement of both stone bridges by a single modern structure. However, local opposition was considerable, and PennDOT ultimately rebuilt and widened the bridge by 6 feet in 2009 during a 10-month closure. It was closed again in 2010 to lengthen retaining walls on the approach. turn right onto Strasburg Road and cross the bridge.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed