Created By: Hannibal Square Heritage Center
Founded by Rev. Charles & Mrs. Missouri Ambrose in 1886, Mt. Moriah is the third of four churches on the Heritage Center Tour. The historically black church, known to many as "The Mount," was initially run from the house of Rev. Charles and Mrs. Ambrose until membership grew to such a large congregation that they had to hold meetings at the Winter Park town hall each Sunday.
In 1935, thanks to a gift from William A. Coursen, $8,500 was used to expand the structure of the church, allowing for increases in membership. Mt. Moriah is the only black church in Winter Park to have stained glass windows, the ten of which each depict a different event in the life of Christ.
The mission of the church is to grow ministries that reflect evangelism, fellowship, discipleship, ministry and worship, with a congregation of people of all ages, in all stages of spiritual maturity. The church continues to be a landmark within the community, and recently celebrated their 130th year anniversary in 2016.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Hannibal Square Heritage Center Tour