Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
The present location of City Hall on Pleasant St was the site of the first publicly funded school in the late 1800s. It is thought that John Hall, the City's founder, possibly donated the land to build the school. The first school was built of rough lumber but a second building, built around 1890, was a beautiful example of period architecture. When a new brick school was built on Division St in 1909, the wooden schoolhouse was converted to City Hall. After many years of use, the 50+ year old building was in sad condition and was torn down in the 1950s. The new City Hall was completed in 1959. The Police Department addition was completed about 20 years later.
The City’s first library was located in back of City Hall, behind the (then) Fire Hall, and had an entrance on Second Ave. The library grew and moved into what is now the Council Chambers and later to the current Douglas County Library building on Division St. The first Fire Hall also outgrew this location and a new Fire Hall was built on Riverside Drive.
Photo 1 City Hall c.1960
Photo 2 former School building later converted to City Hall
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek