Created By: PH Project
The New Brunswick Theological Seminary can trace its roots back to the First Dutch Reformed Church and Queen’s College. When it was first founded, Queen’s College did not have the money required for a theological school. The early focus of Queen’s College was to provide a fundamental education for young men wishing to join the ministry. Queen’s College was actually out of commission from 1794 to 1807 due to a lack of resources. In 1807, Queen’s College struck an agreement with General Synod of the First Dutch Reformed Church to revive the institution with the addition of what is now known today as the Theological Seminary. Today, the New Brunswick Theological Seminary is a prominent institution that continues a focus of religious education. The original location of the Seminary is in what is referred to as Old Queen’s. The only remaining structure that was utilized in the nineteenth century is the Gardner A. Sage Library which is still in use today. The new Seminary building is located on College Avenue.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Brunswick: A Walk through the Past