Created By: ODHS
No 15 Olney House and 15A are listed as Grade II, C18 altered, stone and roughcast, slate roof of modern Mansard form with three flat topped dormer sash windows. This large and imposing building was separated into two properties in the 1950s. The larger property No 15 was called Olney House and modified for commercial purposes. The smaller property No 15A was called Evelyn House after Evelyn Allen, who lived there in her retirement. Evelyn was the daughter of Archibald Allen, one of the two founder solicitors of the Garrard & Allen partnership.
Garrard & Allen have practised in Olney for over 200 years, since its foundation in 1796 - possibly earlier - by John Garrard.
According to the 1910 Revenue Survey, Archibald Allen owned No 15 High Street, together with six additional properties and various plots of land in Olney. The 1911 Census lists the household as consisting of Archibald Allen aged 55, his wife Emily (or Maud?) aged 42, and his daughter Evelyn aged 18.
Incidentally Archibald Allen's partner John Garrard lived next door at No17 High Street. The 1891 Census lists John Garrard aged 87, an unmarried Solicitor at No 17 High Street. The 1936 Register of Electors has Frederick William Bull and William Sharman Bull (possibly solicitors) residing there, suggesting that the main Partnership was practicing somewhere else in the High Street.
After the building was divided into two properties, No 15 became an office for Soul Securities and subsequently was used both for financial services companies and general office accommodation.
Garrard & Allen moved to No 4 High Street on the other side of the street some decades ago and has since expanded substantially with respect to the services it provides.
.Walk about another 50 metres further up the street to No 9 High Street.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Olney High Street - Heritage Trail (Version 1)